[GRLUG] Upgrading Firefox

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Thu Aug 27 13:53:43 EDT 2009

> > My name is Edward & my brother sent me an IBM thinkpad with Linux Suse 10.1
> > loaded. It has Firefox 1.0 on it and I'm trying to update to the newest Firefox
> > so I can do google docs via browser. I've tried using the utility "Yast" to do
> > an upgrade to my box but it doesn't find the repository & I can't see where to
> > go to resolve this. I'm pretty new to linux & finding a concise answer to my
> > questions on how to do simple things isn't so easy or available. I talked with
> > Casey at Barcamp & he said you all are a great source.
> > Let me know if you can help.
> Suse 10.1 is getting kind of old.  You might consider wiping the hard
> drive and installing say, Ubuntu.  The reason I recommend Ubuntu over
> Suse is that it has better package management.

Strongly disagree; I find the packaging on Ubuntu to be extremely
frustrating.  Not including rz/sz as a requirement for minicom?  &^@*&$^
That is just the one a recall off the top of my head,  Ubuntu does a
terrible job at declaring reasonable/realistic dependencies for
packages.

> Like Suse, Ubuntu is geared toward newbies.

I don't believe either distribution is geared toward newbies,  I do
believe some people associated with each distribution believe that they
are. :)
OpenGroupware developer: awilliam at whitemice.org
<http://whitemiceconsulting.blogspot.com/>
OpenGroupare & Cyrus IMAPd documenation @