[GRLUG] grlug Digest, Vol 41, Issue 9

topher at wcsg.org topher at wcsg.org
Thu Aug 13 09:54:56 EDT 2009

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 21:44 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 8:11 PM, <peyeps at iserv.net> wrote:
>>> "Notepad does not itself require network access.  It does, however, use
>>> the Common Dialogs component of Windows, which get activated whenever you
>>> browse to open a file in the vast majority of applications.  "
>> I've seen Explorer go non-responsive for several seconds in scenarios
>> where I believe it was waiting for a mutex or other process to
>> respond, but those always had a timeout associated with them,
>
> We occasionally have the file-open dialog hang for 10 - 15 minutes if
> someone had bookmarked some network resource that was deleted or they
> had previously used a share they no longer have access to.  As far as I
> am concerned this is the single largest outstanding bug in Windows - I
> just don't get why those requests can't be queued asynchronously.  But
> that bug is still infrequent.

I get the same thing all the time in Linux.  If I mount a remote drive
over smb, and then that machine reboots or something, I lose the
connection, but it stays "mounted".  Then, any gui file dialog I use hangs
until the attempt times out.  That's generally how I find out that remote
machine has died.  It's not bad now, I just force umount and go on, but it
was pretty annoying until I figured it out.

>>> "Run Windows Update to deal with other instability and security issues."
>>> Remember IE8 and WGA were passed out as critical updates.
>> IE8 is honestly an improvement over IE7,
>
> Understatement.  IE8 is a not-half-bad-browser.  IE7 is @*&^&(*@(.

Here at Cornerstone, IE* is generally cursed, and the IS dept wish they'd
never left ie7.  As far as I can tell, the biggest complaint is speed.
ie8 is a LOT slower than ie7.

On the other hand, more of them are using firefox now that their ie sucks.
So yay ie8!

Topher