[GRLUG] Debian / HDD Install Linux?

Ben DeMott ben.demott at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 18:34:16 EDT 2008

(yes sorry I missed the 'install' argument in my command line statement, a
thousand apologies)

I will have to try out Debian in vmware or something... Only reason I shy
away is I have had Nvidia driver grief with Ubuntu, although that may have
been Nvidia's problem.

I believe the default desktop environment is still Gnome - Anyone using
compiz fusion and emerald for their desktop manager in Debian? - that would
convince me to switch.

Honestly, I like yum, and it would be hard to part from it.

----------------------

As for the HDD install -->

" I removed the HD, put it into my
Thinkpad, installed Ubuntu, and put the HD back into the tablet."

I tried installing the operating system itself as Ben Rousch suggested
(thanks Ben - good name)
And I so intelligently wasn't thinking about the fact that the installer
would create a mount point for the physical drive as /dev/sda (because I had
it connected through usb) -- So when I swapped the hard disk back into the
laptop grub complained it couldn't find /dev/sda - because /dev/sda was now
/dev/hda
I'm don't know enough about grub or the underlying system to know what would
need to be changed to point grub back to /dev/hda ?
Would the grub conf just need to be edited or anything to do with initrd
need to be changed? or is it not worth it, and I should figure out another
way?
I'm sure it can be done after all, everything is just > files
:)

Thanks in advance!