[GRLUG] Debian / HDD Install Linux?

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Fri Sep 19 18:09:39 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 12:56:09PM -0400, Ben DeMott wrote:
> 'I'd be complaining, Debian (Sid) FTW!"
>
> As long as you can: `apt-get extremetuxracer`  (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tux_Racer )

That would not work, but `apt-get install extremetuxracer' in Debian
Lenny (soon to be "stable") works.  :-)

> Never used Debian, I know its one of the older 'modern' Linux distro's  -
> but didn't I mention I was lazy? - typing 'installgui' at the bootloader is
> a bit too much for me. hehehe

Sure you have, except you called it `Ubuntu.'  As many have said,
`ubuntu' is an African word meaning `can't install Debian.'

[snip]

> GRUB:  (no blinking cursor, the computer acts hardware locked)
> Ideas?

It sounds like GRUB is not configured.  GRUB, contra LILO, can be
configured on the fly.  Try pressing ESC and then e when GRUB appears.
My GRUB config boots this:

root    (hd0,2)
kernel  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-686 root=/dev/sda3 ro
initrd  /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-1-686

You would need to enter the appropriate parameters for that machine.
--
john-thomas
------