[GRLUG] Debian / HDD Install Linux?

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 13:02:24 EDT 2008

> HDD Install ?
> My buddy has a Toshiba Tablet (yes that was his first mistake)
> It has NO cd-rom drive, and doesn't support USB Booting.
> There is currently no OS on the system.
> Toshiba's way of re-installing an OS is through an SD card -->
> It supports PXE Booting,
> I can place the HDD in a usb enclosure and install / modify the file system
> in away way I want from another PC.
> A lot of the installers out there say that you can just paste the contents
> of their installer onto a fat32 / ext2 partition and wallaa - but I've tried
> several different distro's and I just get -->
> GRUB:  (no blinking cursor, the computer acts hardware locked)
> Ideas?

I recently installed Ubuntu onto a Fujitsu tablet with no CD-ROM and
no way to boot from anything else. I removed the HD, put it into my
Thinkpad, installed Ubuntu, and put the HD back into the tablet. It
worked very well. It may be important that the tablet and laptop have
the same brand CPU (Intel in my case), but I cannot confirm that.