[GRLUG] VMWare ESXi Was: Raid, LVM, and Cheap Storage

Bruce Smith blubdog at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 15:31:31 EDT 2008

> For those that have not gone down the virtualization road -
> Beware Exchange 2000 servers, Exchange Mail Stores without SP2, Domain
> Controllers, and Conversion!

Is related to the network stack problem below, or are you taking about
different problems?  If so, what problems?

I ask mainly because I was thinking of running converter on a couple
Active Directory boxes (Win2003).

> VMware Converter had a bug prior to version 3.01 - in which it corrupted the
> network stack/winsock.

Where was the corruption?
  In the Windows box running the converter program?
  In the resulting VM?
  Or in the VMware server itself?

> Once the conversion was done the damage could not be reversed - so beware.
> The problem shows up more on Linux hosts, your network adapter (only when
> loaded) will appear to go from maximum throughput to ~10kb/s over and over
> again several times a second.

And the fix was ... ?
Did you have to rebuild the corrupt VM, or reinstall VMware server
from scratch, or ... ?

 - BS