[GRLUG] VMWare ESXi Was: Raid, LVM, and Cheap Storage

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 15:00:47 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 14:41 -0400, Ben Rousch wrote:
> > And if you want more hardware support (at the cost of lower
> > performance), you can always use the standard VMware Server product
> > that runs on top of most Linux distro's.
> > I believe they just released version 2.0 of the standard VMware
> > Server.  I run XP in VMware Server version 1 at home on top of Ubuntu
> > 8.04, and it works fine.  Never tried v2, except for one of the early
> > beta releases, which I never got to run at all.
> Just today I installed VMWare Server 2 on one of my Ubuntu 8.04
> computers at work. The web-based (via FF plugin) Virtualization
> Manager is very different from v1, but it is running well.

I used VMware Server v1 for production servers up until we got ESX
(which we did about a two weeks before it became free!).  It worked
reasonably well;  it was slower than ESX and it often 'leaked' when you
created/released snapshots.  It didn't remove the snapshot files, so
some of the VMs got really big over time.