[GRLUG] Comcast and blocking port 25 delivery

Collin Kidder adderd at kkmfg.com
Wed Nov 12 15:24:51 EST 2008

> My opinion:  I'm glad they're blocking it.  It's about time.  It's so
> easy for businesses to configure an alternate port for people who
> legitimately need to email from home (ideally with some encryption and
> authentication), and anything that can alleviate some of the
> robo-drone spam crap out there on the Internet can't be a bad thing.
> I'm guessing Comcast's network is one of the biggest offenders in that
> department.
>
> Makes me happy.  Comcast is doing something right for a change.
>
> Ben

I think that this is totally the wrong way to deal with the problem. It
doesn't even solve the problem. It only patches over the problem. The
real problem is that any Tom, Dick, or Harry can send email and there
aren't that many great ways to validate it at the moment. The real
solution lies in something like domain keys or SPF were the legitimacy
of the sending domain can be determined. They are at least a start
toward solving the real problem instead of tar papering over it.