[GRLUG] 64-bit Linux

Topher topher at wcsg.org
Fri May 9 13:26:36 EDT 2008

> So I've got a brand-spankin-new laptop that I'd like to run Linux on.
> Thing is, this is my first box with a 64-bit processor.  I don't yet
> know if I want to run Ubuntu or Gentoo, but one problem remains: Do I
> run 32-bit or 64-bit?
>
> I expect to do two things with my laptop: Watch video files, browse the
> Internet, and watch streaming video on the Internet.  *Maybe* some
> gaming. (It's been something like six years since I've had a computer
> deemed appropriate for video games...)
>
> I know Flash on Linux tends to lag behind Flash on Windows, but does
> 64-bit Linux flash lag even further behind?  I also know there were
> problems with getting a 64-bit Java browser plugin, but Java applets on
> the Internet are rare, and even Java developers don't like to admit they
> exist.
>
> So if I were to install a 64-bit Linux variant, what issues am I going
> to run into?

A girl in my office runs 64bit ubuntu.  There is no 64bit flash, it just
doesn't exist.  What she does is run 32bit firefox, which then works with
the 32bit flash player.

Other than that, we haven't really run into any issues.  All the help she
asked for I've given her as if she were running 32 bit and everything's
worked, but it was just basic stuff like "how do I install...." etc.

Java's not worth it, regardless of what you're running /flamebait.