[GRLUG] 64-bit Linux

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri May 9 13:12:11 EDT 2008

So I've got a brand-spankin-new laptop that I'd like to run Linux on.
Thing is, this is my first box with a 64-bit processor.  I don't yet
know if I want to run Ubuntu or Gentoo, but one problem remains: Do I
run 32-bit or 64-bit?

I expect to do two things with my laptop: Watch video files, browse
the Internet, and watch streaming video on the Internet.  *Maybe* some
gaming. (It's been something like six years since I've had a computer
deemed appropriate for video games...)

I know Flash on Linux tends to lag behind Flash on Windows, but does
64-bit Linux flash lag even further behind?  I also know there were
problems with getting a 64-bit Java browser plugin, but Java applets
on the Internet are rare, and even Java developers don't like to admit
they exist.

So if I were to install a 64-bit Linux variant, what issues am I going
to run into?