[GRLUG] Loose AC jack on Dell laptop repair

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sat May 3 13:18:27 EDT 2008

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 12:10 PM, John Harig <radiodurans at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi my brother is suffering a loose AC jack on his old
>  inspiron 5150 laptop so it wont charge. I dont know
>  much about this but I would guess he would need to get
>  a new Jack and solder it on, something I know nothing
>  about. Googling I found the following:
>
>  http://pomeroycomputing.blogspot.com/2007/10/dell-inspiron-5150.html
>
>  Any ideas to get it repaired?

It's a tricky, tricky job.  I've had it happen on three laptops.  Each
time, I had it fixed by a different person.  Two out of the three were
successful, but one laptop wound up junked.

It's an easy job to royally mess up; I wouldn't touch it if you don't
have a reasonable amount of experience with soldering.

OTOH, I can ask a guy I trust (one who didn't break a laptop) if he'd
be willing to fix it for a fee.  He was the guy I had doing laptop
repair at the GRCC PC Clinic, but, for liability reasons, GRCC is
clamping down on students doing internal repairs on PCs.