[GRLUG] (no subject)

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Thu May 1 12:56:47 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 12:10 PM,  <Bill_Raterink at spartanstores.com> wrote:
> I'm sorry you don't consider the "Users GROUP" as a single unit.

Well...  it's not.  It's a loosley knit informal group of
self-identified volunteers.

> Doesn't the group at least have an informal if not formal charter, to foster the
> acceptance of Linux, & to increase it's user base.

Personally, I couldn't care less how well Linux is accepted, or how
large it's user base is.  I care about the quality of the software
itself.  Now, the two aren't mutually exclusive, so it's a fine
line...  but the distinction is meant to point out that growing the
user base for the sake of growth itself is unlikely to be worthwhile.
The culture and work ethic that produced Free and Open Source Software
are every bit as important as the software itself.

> I realize group dynamics can't be totally void of personal agendas, but at least in the GROUP
> setting, I thought by deffinition, they should play a subordinate role.

By all means, attempt to get the group to agree on an agenda.  When
you do, we can talk about getting rid of those pesky personal ones.

> I'm glad you help where you can, but in your email, you made it sound as though
> you were part of only a small minority.

Minority of what?  I don't know what you're meaning is here.

--tim