[GRLUG] Some Viruses Come Pre-Installed

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 11:15:20 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 10:55 AM, JD Walsh III <jd.walsh at comcast.net> wrote:

>  Tim--
>
>  How would one find out if a computer manufacturer has applied for the sort
> of waiver described in your post? Is there an online database/clearinghouse
> for such things? (Applying for waivers of that sort seems like a very
> Microsoftian thing to do. They certainly have the manpower and the money to
> waste on it.)

I don't think it effectively matters.  If they wanted to make a fuss
about it, the commission's decision could be challenged on either
clause.  We all know Windows isn't required to make a laptop function
properly, and I think it's provable that allowing Microsoft a waiver
is not in the public interest.

IF they refused warranty repair because of Linux (which I've only read
news articles about - later updated to mention that the laptop had
indeed been repaired, accompanied by an apology)...  These days, most
small claims courts will hear cases up to ~$5000.  It should be pretty
easy to convince a magistrate that neither of those clauses apply -
which would mean replacement cost for your laptop + the cost of court
fees and lost wages.  Just call them up, ask for a supervisor, explain
to them in a calm way, all this stuff, and tell them that you're
looking at the court application right now, wondering if you should
sign and date it, and take it down to the notary, or if they would
like to maybe fix your laptop.

That said, not sure if Microsoft's gotten a waiver.  Anyone want to do
that legwork?

--tim