[GRLUG] Fussy Optical Drive [probably hardware]

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Wed Jun 4 05:36:08 EDT 2008

JD Walsh III wrote:
> Since I moved one of my computers to a new case, I have an issue where I
> will insert a CD or DVD into the main optical drive, and it will reject
> it. Specifically, the tray slides in, it thinks for a moment, and then
> the tray slides back out. No messages at all in Linux (unless they're
> hidden in a log file somewhere). Sometimes the disc stays in the first
> time, but usually it takes two or three tries before the drive accepts
> it. Once the drive accepts the disc, though, everything seems to work
> just fine.
>
> As I can use the drive with a minimum of inconvenience, this is a
> low-priority problem, but I would really like to know why it's
> happening. I've checked the cable connections from the drive to the
> motherboard (twice), and they seem snug.

Checking the cable was a good idea. Getting a new one would be better. I
could cry at the amount of time I've spent trying to fix problems that
turned out to be because of bad data cables. But of course crying would
be a further waste of time :)
If that doesn't work a new drive (on your new cable) would probably be
the route of least resistance.