[GRLUG] Freebies & Server OS question

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 13:04:55 EDT 2008

> Second, I have a Dell 6400 PowerEdge server with (4) P3 Xeon 700
> processors & 8 Gig of ram.  I'd like to get a Linux OS on it that will
> be able to take advantage of all the processors and address all the
> ram.  Bear in mind, that I'm still somewhat new to Linux.  Any
> suggestions?  I've been reading over "CentOS" - www.centos.org  but
> haven't decided whether to download yet or not.

Any recent distribution will be more more-or-less equally concurrent,
and CentOS is probably the best choice for a server distribution.  We
run numerous CentOS servers in production, the stability and performance
is very good.   Only downside is if you want to really get into LDAP
because RedHat's LDAP support and packages are really bad;  for a
directory-centric (LDAP) server then openSUSE is a better choise.