[GRLUG] Remote file conversion

Steve Romanow slestak989 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 11:55:28 EDT 2008

Can anyone confirm if they've seen anything like this work.

I have a pdf created by a process on aix.  I need to programmaticly create a toc for the 1500 page document.

Pdftotext (from the xpdf package) works fine for ripping the pdf to text, then with a couple of greps, I have the info needed.

The thing I am trying to figure out is how I can use ssh to remotely use pdftotext on this file from aix.

Installing xpdf on aix is not really an option.  I would like to embed the remote execution call in another program running on the aix box.  He goal is to remove manual steps from this table of contents generation.

Thanks,
Steve

Oh yes.  My company has ratcheted down on web use so I posted this from my smartphone.  Please forgive me if it is formatted like crap.