[GRLUG] Battery recycling

Justin Denick justin.denick at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 08:13:06 EST 2008

On Jan 17, 2008 8:39 AM, Eugene Fowler <Eugene.Fowler at kentcountymi.gov> wrote:
> I work for Kent County Dept. of Public Works.
>
> We take all kind of batteries, small batteries, UPS, Car.
> The best drop off location for larger batteries is 322 Bartlett (Corner of Bartlett and Market St. Downtown GR.)
>
> Here is a link to Ottawa County and they take car batteries and have a facility in the Georgetown area.
> http://www.co.ottawa.mi.us/HealthComm/Health/pdf/ResourceBrochure.pdf

> I would consider this topic to be a part of an organizations asset
> management process.  And related to IT assets, whether is be hard
> drives, backup tapes, paper, or used batteries from UPS's, disposal is
> one part of that process.
>
> For some facts: "The lead battery industry is the nation's largest user
> of lead, consuming 80% of the lead in the country. For 10 consecutive
> years, lead acid batteries have topped the list of the most highly
> recycled consumer products with a 96.5% recycling rate in 1996."
> [http://www.batteryrecycling.com/experts.html]
>
> Your local government is a good place to start when looking for
> recycling information.  Kent County as listed places for battery
> recycling on their web site at
> http://www.accesskent.com/YourGovernment/PublicWorks/Guide/Batteries.html
>
> Also, some branches of Kent District Library have a battery drop off
> inside the library for recycling.  Although this is intended for
> home-use battery recycling.

I wonder... does comprenew take batteries?

I have nothing but good things to say about
this company. They're very timely and considerate
of your needs. I work for a non-profit, so they removed
about 500Lbs of old computer crap for FREE and we
sure do like free :-)

--
In vino veritas.
        [In wine there is truth.]