[GRLUG] Hey look! A linux topic!

networkman at triton.net networkman at triton.net
Wed Dec 31 10:29:02 EST 2008

>> appear....I
>> until
>> > You give up too easily.  Have you tried other distros?  Perhaps you
>> > should download a live CD of Linux and boot from it.  It sounds like a
>> > configuration issue more than a hardware incompatibility (although I'm
>> > not sure I've ever heard of a WSOD).
>>
>> I think this a recipe for frustration (especially given that distros
>> of
>> the same vintage are 94% the same);  the purpose of a system is to run
>> software. The better approach, if you want/need to run LINUX, is to
>> specifically buy hardware this is supported.
>
> Yes, most Linux distros are essentially the same, but the hardware
> detection at installation can vary widely, hence my question.  I would
> prefer to help someone diagnose the problem rather than avoid (via a
> different distro) but we work with what we have (and who).
>
>> I'm aware of numerous problems using ATI video cards with X, at least
>> until the most recent versions of X.  For using ATI with openSUSE see
>> <http://en.opensuse.org/ATI> as there is a special repository you need
>> to subscribe to.
>
> Hopefully this will soon pass as AMD is releasing the code for the
> drivers as open source.

>> ya,
>> deaf
>> ya
>> things,

<snip>

Another reason you may have never met Lee is that the organizations that
do exist to assist those who are "handicapped" (sorry if that's not PC)
often do not or are not allowed to share their mailing and/or contact
lists.

For instance, I happen to work for the Kent District Library, and one of
our programs is LBPH (Library for the Blind & Physically Handicapped) -
more info here: http://www.kdl.org/about/lbph

I also happen to volunteer for The Sight Seer, which admittedly wouldn't
really help in your particular instance since hearing loss is the issue,
but you can find them here:  http://www.thesightseer.org/

Now I would think that it would be beneficial to both groups to point
their patrons and listeners to each other's pages, since neither is
directly competing with other and doing so would only enhance the
opportunities for the public.  Still, the library isn't allowed by law to
share their mailing list, nor can they send out a "blurb" to their patrons
for the same reason, and so many people are even aware of The Sight Seer's
existence. :(

Rich Nagel