[GRLUG] Hey look! A linux topic!

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Wed Dec 31 09:51:52 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 04:42:48PM -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > > I am really disappointed with linux for not support my PC! I did run
> > > Fedora.....I got WSOD (White Screen of Death) and nothing appear....I
> > > have 64bit hardware, top video card of ATI, I stuck with Windows until
> > > Linux build new cure for my PC
> > You give up too easily.  Have you tried other distros?  Perhaps you
> > should download a live CD of Linux and boot from it.  It sounds like a
> > configuration issue more than a hardware incompatibility (although I'm
> > not sure I've ever heard of a WSOD).
>
> I think this a recipe for frustration (especially given that distros of
> the same vintage are 94% the same);  the purpose of a system is to run
> software. The better approach, if you want/need to run LINUX, is to
> specifically buy hardware this is supported.

Yes, most Linux distros are essentially the same, but the hardware
detection at installation can vary widely, hence my question.  I would
prefer to help someone diagnose the problem rather than avoid (via a
different distro) but we work with what we have (and who).

> I'm aware of numerous problems using ATI video cards with X, at least
> until the most recent versions of X.  For using ATI with openSUSE see
> <http://en.opensuse.org/ATI> as there is a special repository you need
> to subscribe to.

Hopefully this will soon pass as AMD is releasing the code for the
drivers as open source.

> > > YAY Another deaf! How come why I never met Lee?
> > Because there are over half a million people in the greater Grand Rapids
> > area?  ;-)
>
> There's roughly 200,000 people *in* Grand Rapids, but there are ~1.3
> million in the metropolitan area.  Given that about 12 in 1,000 people
> have early-onset hearing loss that nets out to about 16,000 people.

I was only including GR and its suburbs.  There are roughly 600,000 in
Kent County.  To get to the 1,000,000+ figure you have to go out quite a
ways from Grand Rapids.

> I've lost over half my hearing in one ear and I hardly know any of
> you! :)

That's because we rarely have meetings and only have them on the same
day each time.  :-(
--
john-thomas
------