[GRLUG] Virtual OS in Linux

Bruce Smith blubdog at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 11:38:50 EST 2008

> Has anyone use VMWare ESXi in production yet?  I've got a few boxes
> running Ubuntu with VMWare server but I'm wondering what "real world"
> differences are.  I've also been tasked with proposing a method to use
> VMWare to sell my company's product so ESXi knowledge would be great.

I have 3 ESXi boxes running production servers.  Stable, no complaints.

ESXi has a smaller footprint than VMware server, has a faster native
filesystem, making it faster overall.

Check the HCL, as a limited amount of hardware is supported to run ESXi.

The major downside in a Linux environment is you can only manage ESXi
from a Windows box, as the VMware Infrastructure client is Windows
only.

 - BS