[GRLUG] Virtual OS in Linux

Ben DeMott ben.demott at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 15:29:59 EST 2008

ESXi (free, runs as what's know as 'HyperVisor' - this will get you used to
running VMWare products, but you have no Host OS to play with... and
hardware support is limited.)

If you are more brave, there is VMWare Virtual Server 2.0 - Runs directly on
Fedora 9 for me, and many others (SUSE) - Install this and a PAE Kernel, and
you can run a pretty mean server.

Most ISP's and Hosting Companies use Xen Virtualization for Linux - which is
good to know, for clustered apache, mysql/pgsql installs.

Windows was offering their Virtual Server 2008 for free, and they have some
very interesting emerging technologies... although you have to run
everything on a Microsoft platform so they still got ya for the host
license.

Good Luck!