[GRLUG] First timer on this list

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 06:57:32 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 02:12 -0400, Detrix wrote:
> Hello everyone. I am fairly new to linux, I have tinkered with it on and
> off for about two years now. I joined this list because I have a
> programming project that I want to use Linux with.  I am trying to find
> volunteers to help me with this project. It is a video game project.
> So, the primary questions is: Is there anyone on this list that would
> like to help,

Sorry, not a game developer, not even interested in games.

> or where do I go (what other online groups are out there)
> to find volunteers?

Finding developers for a project is really hard.  The best thing you can
do is put the code up, have lots of good comments, and get the project
listed on all the major indexes (like freshmeat.net and Ohloh).  Then
shamelessly shill your project at every possible opportunity.  Don't be
shy, but it is still no excuse to post off-topic in forums.  However, if
you ask a question about the language or library your using, etc... it
is entirely ok to include in the question a description of your project
and why it is absolutely cool.

> This is a fairly large project. I would love to find a group of people
> in the Grand Rapids area for this.

I wouldn't restrict your pool geographically.  I'd be surprised if there
are more than a dozen *active* Open Source developers in the Grand
Rapids metro area.  Then if you divide those up by interests and
preferred platforms your odds get slim.  (Note that developers *using*
an Open Source tool chain aren't "Open Source developers",  only
developers committing to Open Source projects are "Open Source
developers".)