[GRLUG] BIND configuration for LAN

Godwin geektoyz at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 17:42:50 EDT 2008

George, I think Rick's on the money there...  I run BIND to resolve an
internal LAN, but have a zone defined for a particular domain (not
owned by us and totally unrelated).  While inside our network, you can
type "http://box1.notmine.com" and are directed to a local box serving
that domain.

While outside, "http://box1.notmine.com" likely doesn't exist, but
"http://www.notmine.com" surely does and takes you to their site.  I
guess the drawback to that approach is that we'll never see the actual
site from inside our LAN.  ;-)

So, define a "no-ip.org" zone for BIND in your local LAN and forward
for anything else to your ISP.

Excerpt from /etc/bind/named.conf.options  {in debian}:
 forwarders {
        208.67.222.222;
 };

Excerpt from /etc/bin/named.conf.local {in debian}:
zone "notmine.com" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/zone.notmine.com";
};

zone "38.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/192.168.38.rev";
};

//--- Disable logging of "lame servers"
logging {
category lame-servers { null; };

};

cheers,
G-

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 1:25 PM, Rick Vargo <rick at vargo.org> wrote:
> George,
>
>  If the zone is locally defined on the machine running bind (either
>  master or slave) it will not use forwarders for that domain because it
>  thinks it is authoritative. You can however setup the zone in question
>  to be dynamic and pull the info from no-ip using a script of sorts.
>
>  You may try adding both the local IP and the IP of no-ip's DNS servers
>  to your resolv.conf file. This may or may not work. If it does there
>  will be a delay as it queries named on your local box first for the IP
>  address.
>
>  Rick
>

>  George (Skip) VerDuin wrote:
>  > Greetings...
>  >
>  > Is there an experienced BIND admin in GR-LUG who can take a few minutes
>  > to "talk" to me?
>  >
>  > Issue: I am running named on a LAN workstation, almost everything works
>  > OK -- but I hold a public registration at no-ip.org that I have not
>  > successfully "overridden" with a local LAN IP address only for private
>  > machines on the LAN.  I believe the problem I can't solve relates to
>  > forwarding a request when the local named can't find a reference in the
>  > table.  ?An authority setting?
>  >
>  > My workaround is to stop named while I need a no-ip IP from the public
>  > name server.  This works, but is not a satisfactory situation.
>  >
>  > If this sounds quickly solvable, let me know what you need to know...
>  >
>  > THANKS!
>  >
>  > Warmest regards from here,