[GRLUG] Xen

Al Tobey tobert at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 01:50:47 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 9:04 PM, David Szostek <dave at uvhosting.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Consider a server with a 4TB RAID5 volume of SATA drives and a 450GB RAID 5
>  volume of 15k SCSI drives.
>
>  When creating a guest domain in Xen, we specify the main storage for it on
>  the 4TB volume when we create it.
>
>  We would also like to allow this guest domain some storage on the 450GB
>  volume.
>
>  How would this be accomplished? Anyone have any ideas? Google hasn't been
>  very helpful (though my search terms could suck too).

Sorry for the late post.   I don't follow the list very closely these
days, since I live in San Diego now ;)

I'm doing a big Xen rollout right now and for your situation, I'd
highly recommend LVM backed storage.    Put one volume group on the
4TB volume, and another on the 450GB volume.    Don't use the terrible
naming convention Fedora has by default - call them something useful
like vgxen00.

So if your 4TB drive is one LUN on /dev/sda, create one big partition
with type "Linux LVM" (8e) then:
pvcreate /dev/sda1
vgcreate vgxen00 /dev/sda1

Then you can lvcreate your VM's and do all kinds of neat stuff.
There are plenty of LVM howto's on the 'net.    virt-install also
supports LVM volumes and they're typically a bit faster than
file-backed VM's.

lvcreate -n ${vm_hostname}-disk0 -L 20G vgxen00

Good luck!
-Al Tobey