[GRLUG] Need Topics * GRLUG April Meeting - next week Thursday April 10th 6-8PM

Bill_Raterink at spartanstores.com Bill_Raterink at spartanstores.com
Mon Apr 7 16:06:07 EDT 2008

Rich,
I'm sorry I can't make the meeting on the 10th, but I'm very interested in
your IPAQ for the Blind project.  If you could send me any information you
have as far as language, database, ports requirements, etc. I would
appreciate it.  I've done some work in the '90s with a blind person who
ran a snackbar, he's retired now, but the POS system was a super fun
project.  I've loaded ubuntu onto an old Compaq server & that's about the
extent of my training so far.  I plan to make it my linux/perl learning
machine.  Please keep me in mind if you have anything a perl/linux noobie
might be able to handle.
Thanks,
-Bill.

"Rich Nagel" <networkman at triton.net>
Sent by: grlug-bounces at grlug.org
04/07/2008 03:52 PM
Please respond to
Rich Nagel <networkman at triton.net>; Please respond to
grlug at grlug.org

<grlug at grlug.org>
cc
AJ <f1tz81 at gmail.com>
Subject
Re: [GRLUG] Need Topics * GRLUG April Meeting - next week Thursday April
10th 6-8PM

Hello GRLUG members,

Thought I'd give you all a heads-up.  I've already RSVP'd with Casey.  I'm
planning to bring with me an IPAQ computer(Celeron 500 or P3-733 with
128meg ram), that we have configured to boot off of CD running Geexbox
Linux.  The solution is designed to be as hands-off as possible for use by
those with vision impairments. The PC connects over the internet to an
audio stream provided by http://www.thesightseer.org an organization that
provides a reading service to the blind and physically handicapped.  It's
a non-profit and runs soley on donations -- there are no commericals in
the broadcasts.  They've been broadcasting on a side-channel to fixed
frequency radios in the past, but also now provide an audio stream on the
web.  If you go to their web page and click on their icon it should spawn
a player for the stream.

Right now, the CDRom based solution works, but I may need the group's help
in making a hard drive based solution viable as well, since CDRom drives
for IPAQs are somewhat difficult to obtain, cost being the most difficult
hurdle.  I can explain at the meeting what we know so far and what we want
to accomplish.  The solution has been promoted to several Lion's Clubs
already so we're really excited to be making Linux an integral part of the
solution. :)

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Rich