[GRLUG] Need Topics * GRLUG April Meeting - next week Thursday April 10th 6-8PM

Rich Nagel networkman at triton.net
Mon Apr 7 15:52:11 EDT 2008

Hello GRLUG members,

Thought I'd give you all a heads-up.  I've already RSVP'd with Casey.  I'm planning to bring with me an IPAQ computer(Celeron 500 or P3-733 with 128meg ram), that we have configured to boot off of CD running Geexbox Linux.  The solution is designed to be as hands-off as possible for use by those with vision impairments. The PC connects over the internet to an audio stream provided by http://www.thesightseer.org an organization that provides a reading service to the blind and physically handicapped.  It's a non-profit and runs soley on donations -- there are no commericals in the broadcasts.  They've been broadcasting on a side-channel to fixed frequency radios in the past, but also now provide an audio stream on the web.  If you go to their web page and click on their icon it should spawn a player for the stream.

Right now, the CDRom based solution works, but I may need the group's help in making a hard drive based solution viable as well, since CDRom drives for IPAQs are somewhat difficult to obtain, cost being the most difficult hurdle.  I can explain at the meeting what we know so far and what we want to accomplish.  The solution has been promoted to several Lion's Clubs already so we're really excited to be making Linux an integral part of the solution. :)

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Rich