[GRLUG] Installing Feisty Fawn...

Marc Zuverink mzuverink at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 01:56:45 EDT 2007

Jason Kisner wrote:
> On 10/14/07, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The simple solution would be to tar up your home directory and copy it
>> to another machine.
>>
>> A better solution for your problem would be to use the command line to
>> upgrade your system.  What's in your /etc/apt/sources.list?
>>
>> On 10/14/07, Jason Kisner <airplanejay at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I decided to go and make an Install disc anyways since it seemed to be
>> the
>>> easier solution (in reference to "Updating to Feisty Fawn"), but now I
>> need
>>> to know how to install without losing everything on my hard drive. When
>>> upgraded from Dapper to Edgy I didn't have any thing worth saving so I
>> just
>>> installed over everything. Now I have too much to lose.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rensik nosaj si eman ym.
>>> Worromot rof nalp, yadot rof evil.
>>>

>> --
>> :wq

I really suggest that you do NOT use Automatix, it causes all kinds of
update/upgrade problems by not following the Ubuntu model of file system
placement of files.

I suggest strongly that you use the info from http://easylinux.info
instead which will provide you with the ability to not only install all
the programs that Automatix installs, but a whole lot more to boot. They
even provide you with a proper source list to get your repos
sources.list file all set up.

I would do what was suggested and tar up your /home dir then do a fresh
install.  There are nice tools which you can install to make backups
more easy.

In the future please also note that having a separate partition for
/home would alleviate having to back up /home, yet that really is not a
good idea either, because the first time you depend on it to not touch
/home is when you will screw up and forget to not format /home when you
go to do a fresh install.  Having a backup is always the best practice.
 Removable media and external hd's are cheap enough now a days that you
could do like I do and just select all files in your /home and copy them
over to a dir on the external and then you are off to a fresh install.

The easylinux.info page may be a bit tedious, having to cli install all
that stuff, but in the long run you will have learned something
invaluable, how to do things yourself, and knowing where you are getting
your stuff from.

--
Marc Zuverink <mzuverink at gmail.com>

"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems."
							-Linus Torvalds