[GRLUG] A big opportunity for Linux?

Don Wood dond at standalelumber.com
Tue Nov 20 14:35:43 EST 2007

I'm a Linux geek, not a guru. I've installed umpteen distros and played
with them over the years and I've always been left wanting when it was
all said and done. I've deployed ltsp at work in one department as a
test and it's been great thus far. Any new equipment we buy has never
had Vista since I played with a Vista system once and I hated it.

Just recently my XP laptop got infested with some spyware/malware and it
was the straw that broke the camel's back. (Yes I had antivirus and
antispyware software installed and still got hit) I installed Ubuntu
7.10 on my Inspiron 9300 and haven't looked back. There is no reason in
my opinion that first time users or even light users can't be
indoctrinated with Linux the same way they would have with Windows. I
have applications here at work that will always require a Windows
machine but for all others I'm slowly integrating Linux into their
lives.

Vista might be a flop but there are still more Vista installs than Linux
in spite of it. Linux isn't going to take advantage of the Microsoft
miscue without us, the advocates. You're cackling in the hen house but
what are you doing to either indoctrinate those you have control over or
sway the opinions of Windows users that might be on the fence? I know
that sounds like I'm calling you out but that's not my intent. I
seriously want to know what you're doing to expose people to Linux.