[GRLUG] moving to GR

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Fri Nov 16 19:48:28 EST 2007

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 09:51:18PM -0500, john-thomas richards wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 06:42:32PM -0500, Godwin wrote:
> > Welcome in deed Steve!  Good to have someone with "long time" knowledge...  ;-)
>
> Speaking of that, and completely off the topic of this thread, I have used
> Linux now for ten years.  Who on this list has been using it longer than that?

In 1996 a friend mentioned Linux to me (it may have been 1995).  I was
intrigued.  In 1997 while browsing at the public library I came across a book
about Slackware.  The book came with a CD.  I installed Slackware and had
*zero* problems getting X to work (think about that for a moment...in *1997*).
Configuring X drove me batty, though.  Remember the old "virtual resolution"?
The desktop was larger than the actual display.  In other words, you could
have a 1024x768 desktop with 800x600 resolution.  Just scroll to the edge of
the screen to see the rest of your desktop.  I *hated* that and could not
figure out how to get rid of it.  I bought a CD (or two) from....drat.  I
cannot remember the name now (anyone?  Bueler?).  The disks were white with
black writing.  I bought a copy of Redhat and installed it.  I used Redhat for
a few years until my harddrive crashed.  I tried Debian and have not turned
back since.

Thank you, Topher, for introducing me to Linux.  :-)
--
john-thomas
------