[GRLUG] Linux software recommendation for mp3 player

Collin adderd at kkmfg.com
Fri May 18 10:32:49 EDT 2007

> I am not afraid of KDE nor am I suggesting there is anything wrong with
> KDE or any k* apps.  My statement above simply is that I do not have any
> KDE/QT apps or libraries installed on my system.  I fail to see the
> benefit of installing a ton of cruft on my system just to ran a single
> application.  I fail to see the benefit of loading a bunch of libraries
> into RAM for one application.  This is not denigrating KDE.  I remember
> using KDE back in the 1.0 days.  For years I thought it was the best
> open source project out there as the developers spit out update after
> update and each release was truly better than the one before it.  Then I
> discovered enlightenment and preferred its simpler interface.  I choose
> the applications that best suit my needs.  None of them happen to be KDE
> apps.

Yes, I suppose that's understandable. I use enlightenment on less
capable boxes. When your machine is a P4 with 1GB of RAM or more you
start to not care as much when KDE sucks up all the available RAM in the
universe (hey, it looks pretty! SHINY!!!!) but when you are running a
400Mhz machine you tend not to want to deal with something as big and
bloated as KDE.

For me running KDE just mainly down to the shiny factor and
configurability. The apps just plain look nicer. They probably aren't
any more useable or anything but sometimes it's nice to see good
graphics on screen. I figure, if you are going to run a GUI you might as
well use a pretty one. And it's availability to really get under the
hood is nice too.

For my part, I don't care about harddrive cruft. I have gnome libraries
installed for just a few gnome apps. I don't even like gnome at all. To
me it's not a big deal but to each his own.