[GRLUG] Linux software recommendation for mp3 player

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Fri May 18 10:23:43 EDT 2007

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 09:13:55AM -0400, Collin wrote:
> Benjamin Flanders wrote:
> >> I do not have anything k* installed on my boxes
> >> so amarok is not an option.
> >
> > Technically amarok is a* ;-)
> >
> > It is a really awesome player/manager though.  Sorry to hear about
> > your allergies to anything KDE/QT related.  Your missing (in my
> > opinion) some of the best open source programs out there.
>
> I agree. There is nothing wrong with KDE and  it's assorted K* programs.
> In fact, I like it better than anything else, including OSX. I don't
> understand why so many people are so afraid of it.

I am not afraid of KDE nor am I suggesting there is anything wrong with
KDE or any k* apps.  My statement above simply is that I do not have any
KDE/QT apps or libraries installed on my system.  I fail to see the
benefit of installing a ton of cruft on my system just to ran a single
application.  I fail to see the benefit of loading a bunch of libraries
into RAM for one application.  This is not denigrating KDE.  I remember
using KDE back in the 1.0 days.  For years I thought it was the best
open source project out there as the developers spit out update after
update and each release was truly better than the one before it.  Then I
discovered enlightenment and preferred its simpler interface.  I choose
the applications that best suit my needs.  None of them happen to be KDE
apps.

> Amarok is a good player.

I am sure it is.  I do not want to install a desktop environment and a
bunch of libraries for one single app just like I do not want to build
a garage to store my hedge clippers.  If, however, I also needed a
place to store my lawnmower, car, bicycle, and roller blades, I would
consider building a garage.
--
john-thomas
------