[GRLUG] Failing Firefox

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon May 7 17:09:30 EDT 2007

On 5/7/07, Jason Kisner <airplanejay at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/7/07, Ben Rousch <brousch at orthicomp.net > wrote:
> >
> > ----- "Jason Kisner" < airplanejay at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Ok. I need to know how to REINSTALL Ubuntu Edgy Eft from the root
> > > directory,
> > > because the install disc won't take. I get to the "Start or Install'
> > > screen
> > > and "Enter"... Black Hole of Doom. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. So I would
> > > like to
> > > know how to reinstall *Ubuntu Edgy Eft *from the root directory.
> > > There. *
> > > 'fwioo'*
>
> umm... Lets see. Beginning. Installed a plugin for a music site so I could
> listen to the music on that site. Plugin incompatible with Firefox 2.0.0.3.
> Firefox fail. Firefox fail. Firefox fail. no error. Firefox stays open long
> enough to remove plugin. Firefox fail. Firefox fail. Firefox fail. no error.
> Reinstall Firefox with Synaptec. Firefox fail... Reinstall Firefox in
> Terminal. Firefox fail... Completely remove Firefox. Finish. Processor 100%.
> Computer unresponsive. Processor 100%. Computer unresponsive. Shut down.
> Restart. Inconsistent filesystem error. That's where I'm at now.

First, if you really want to, you can reinstall from a burned CD.

Second, there's really shouldn't be need to reinstall at this point.
Filesystem errors are recoverable.  If you powered off before apt
and/or dpkg finished their thing, then you'll have a problem.

What you need to do is reboot and allow the computer to run fsck.
fsck will fix most of your problems.

Following that, run "apt-get -f" to try to fix any dependencies left
hanging.  There's another apt-get command you'll want to run for
similar reasons, but I can't recall what it is.  Attempting to install
any random package will tell you how, if it's needed.

Finally, erase that Firefox profile!  Thanks to limitations to user
privileges, there's virtually no way that installing a Firefox
extension can bork the system install of Firefox, so it's ludicrous
that you'd have to reinstall Firefox in order to fix a crash brought
on by the installation of a plugin.  Removing the Firefox profile
would most likely have solved the problem in the beginning.