[GRLUG] Linux server sync with MS Outlook

Ubuntu ubuntu at timhynde.com
Sun May 6 15:45:35 EDT 2007

>> I have been running the open source Zimbra on Ubuntu server for six
>> months or so now. You will want some good hardware for it. They recommend
>> dual Xeon and 2GB RAM. I am running it on 2GHz proc, 512MB RAM for 2-3
>> people. You will also want a static IP.
>>
>> My experience with it:
>> 1. The web client is slow to load initially (probably due to my
>> sub-recommended hardware), but once it loads it works smoothly.
>> 2. The addressbook with shared contacts is very nice.
>> 3. The calendar is overall very nice, but the alarms system is limited.
>> You can choose a single time interval for all appointments, such as 15
>> minutes before an appointment. This is very restrictive after coming from
>> Google's calendar system.
>> 4. I have been able to sync Evolution (on Linux, haven't tried Windows)
>> with Zimbra, which is very nice.
>> 5. It has been very stable overall and the web admin GUI is nice.
>>
>> (This bottom posting thing is kind of annoying to those of us with modern
>> conversation-grouping email clients like Zimbra :P)
>> --
>> - Ben Rousch

Ben, this definitly sounds like the solution I am looking for, can you
clarify though, when you say server is there a specific Ubuntu install that
is a server or do you mean a desktop installation running as a server? I'm
still a little unclear on some of the terminology, right now I have SuSE
10.2 but would gladly change if the other worked better. Can you advise? I
have plenty of hardware for this app.

Tim