[GRLUG] laptops

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 19:14:37 EDT 2007

On 3/21/07, Nathan Drier <ndrier at gmail.com> wrote:
> So my laptop died a horrible death in a cold parking lot today.  I was
> wardriving on my way to my wireless security class,  and I took it out of my
> car to wander up to class and didn't have a good hold on it.  **slip fumble
> fumble smash**
>
> The screen is pretty busted up,  but everything else works ok ( i'm actually
> still using it now)  Screens run about 250 bucks,  so my plan is to just
> part it out on ebay and get something else.  I've been drooling over some
> little dual-cores....but they are just a little out of my price range.
>
> Now,  my linux-related question is this.  What laptops do you guys run?
> Distros?  Any brands you hate / love?  Horror Stories?  How is linux
> compatability?

Compaq Presario 2100...But that's an old AthlonXP 2200+ processor.
And it was designed poorly, considering that the keys have left
scratches on the screen, the model has a history of dying batteries,
and I had to get the power socket resoldered after it had come loose.

Hm.  It's got a couple dead pixels, too...but that's because some dolt
jabbed the LCD with his finger.

Everything I've tried seems to work, since switching to Ubuntu.
(Granted, I haven't tried the SVideo output, and that hadn't worked
when I ran Debian.)  It runs Ubuntu fine, for my needs.  Mostly, I do
web browsing and OpenOffice work.  The interface latency certainly
isn't crisp, but that doesn't get in my way. (much)

If I were to buy a laptop, though, I'd get an IBM Thinkpad.
Preferably T-series.  But that's not likely to happen for a few more
years.