[GRLUG] Linux desktop marketshare

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 13:54:24 EST 2007

On Dec 12, 2007 1:39 PM, Joshua Hulst <josh at hulst.ws> wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 December 2007 01:25:58 pm Greg Folkert wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 13:13 -0500, john-thomas richards wrote:
> > > BTW, are not all Linux mail clients text-based and GUI mail clients
> > > really just Windows apps ported?  ;-)
> >
> > Well, I use Evolution and it plays just find. I guess its the only one
> > that can. And No Evolution wasn't ported from Windows.
>

> Kmail for the win.  I didn't see any problems with any of the emails in this
> conversation either, although the source does have the defanged tags.  Which
> leads to another question.  Why use HTML encoded email at all?  What's the
> matter with plaintext, especially for a mailing list which so far has had no
> need for any of the features that html provides?

On second thought, it might be GMail's problem.  The defanger changes
the MIME type:

GMail shouldn't recognize that type, and shouldn't display it over the
text/plain part earlier in the message.

There's nothing wrong with plain text, except that some folks who use
email don't know the difference, and their clients default to HTML.
It shouldn't be the email server's job to be aware of HTML, IMO.