[GRLUG] For those that think MSOOXML is a good idea...

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 16:35:39 EST 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 4:13 PM, Joshua Hulst <josh at hulst.ws> wrote:
> On Thursday 06 December 2007 04:03:56 pm Michael Mol wrote:
> > It still bothers me that ODF folded up.  I've got documents scattered
> > all over in their formats.  I suppose we'll see if the promise of
> > continued accessibility holds up.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by ODF folding up, if you are talking about the
> Open Document Foundation closing, this page seems to explain it pretty well.
> http://hackfud.net/2007/11/06/now-its-open-document-formats-turn-for-the-fudmeisters/
>
> In general, the Open Document Foundation had very little to do with the
> current state of ODF and their closing has very little effect on the format.
> The support in Open Office and Koffice seems to guarantee it's existence so
> by all means, continue to use it.

My concern, really, is whether or not Open Office and KOffice will
continue to support it in the future.  Bitrot doesn't just apply to
Windows; Have you tried to run a libc5 application in the last five
years?

And, really, I like the format.  It's essentially a directory tree of
XML and public-format image files wrapped in a ZIP file, making it
close to trivial to script automated document creation.

Sure, I could write a program to convert it to RTF, but I'd rather not.