[GRLUG] 7.04

Topher topher at wcsg.org
Sun Apr 22 14:33:03 EDT 2007

> Anyone here installed Ubuntu or Kubuntu 7.04?
>
> Have any first impressions?

I did ubuntu last night while NOT sleeping.  Only two real snags, but
they're killers.  vpnc 0.4 has a known bug that kills a connection after
about 20 seconds, which means I could get to my email long enough to read
your question, but couldn't stay on long enough to answer.

The other is that it can't seem to handle my 1440x900 widescreen.  I've
done a LOT to try to make it work.  When using the nv driver, with only
1440x900 listed as an available resolution, I get 1280x800.  I tried
installing the nvidia stuff with apt-get, and it worked ONCE.  Then gnome
told me I needed to reboot (?!?) and when I did the nvidia drivers won't
even start X.

It says "The NVIDIA kernel module has version 1.0-9755 but the X module
has version 1.0-9631".

I grabbed the binary installer from Nvidia, and ran it, and the build
fails.  :(

So, I have X, but it's ugly, and it appears to be ignoring all the tricks
I used to do like hardcoding the resolution.

Topher
Manager of Internet Services
Cornerstone University Radio

------
"Age is ever an indefinite thing.....and perhaps the poorest way to estimate
or judge"
                         -- Louis L'Amour, Fair Blows the Wind