[GRLUG] Is there a Linux equivalent to network folders

Topher topher at wcsg.org
Mon Sep 4 11:40:35 EDT 2006

Bill Creswell wrote:
> I am sure the name may be different, since I didn't find anything like
> it by googling.
>
> I would like to have an ftp folder that acts like a drive, so that I
> could open a file on the server with Screem, instead of downloading the
> file, saving it and uploading it.

The best I've found is sshfs.  Basically you can mount a remote
filesystem over ssh.

There are LOTS of things that will do it via a GUI, Konq as Ron
mentioned, and both KDE and Gnome have ways to semi-permanently mount an
ftp or ssh or nfs or smb dir, but very few do it at the filesystem
level, so you can use screen on it.

So your options are sshfs, smb, or nfs as far as I know.