[GRLUG] Learning System (Blackboard) job opening

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 16:40:08 EDT 2006

On 10/3/06, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
> Blackboard has loooong been established as the standard at GRCC, to
> the point where there's BlackBoard-branded hardware all over the
> place.  I don't think Moodle is going to see much consideration around
> here.
>
> Consider specialized hardware one of Bb's methods of lock-in.  All the
> cardreaders, for example, are Bb-branded.

Yeah.  Exactly.  Coupled with Blackboard Inc.'s recent penchant for
filing un-winnable lawsuits (http://lwn.net/Articles/197535/), any
prudent organization making use of Blackboard should at least be
thinking about alternatives...

I'm realistic.  I don't expect GRCC to deploy Moodle next week.  What
I'd like to see is someone, somewhere in the school spending 20
minutes looking at alternatives, or slipping a word or two into job
offers like this one - not requirements - just 'bonus points if...'

Perhaps all this is going on to some extent and CC's IT / management
processes just aren't transparent enough to allow us to see that.  I
don't want to cause a ruckus...  just making observations about an
institution I feel I have some interest in, having attended.

Syzmon?

--tim