[GRLUG] Novell, having fun are we?

Ron Lauzon rlauzon at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 04:58:49 EST 2006

Bob Kline wrote:
> Color me skeptical.  Time will tell. Sure,  M$ just
> wants to make more money - lots of it if possible -
> but will its tactics really change so much?  I
> suspect it will be good  ol'  M$,  as long as it
> continues to get the lion's share of the revenues
> in any collaboration.  It expects this.  Insists on
> it in all likelihood.

I believe that MS has seen the light and wants to change.  Mr. Bill
"retiring" is a good sign that is the case.  But MS is like an ocean
liner - it won't turn on a dime.  It will take time (alot of time) to
turn around.

I expect that, for the short term, it will be business as usual.  In the
medium term, they will be less cutthroat.  In the long term, I expect
them to become like IBM (which, interestingly enough, is exactly what
Microsoft did, just before IBM changed) and play in the Open Source
world nicely.

--
Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
   Homepage: http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net/

   DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening

   "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
   audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
   sort of job." - Ann Coulter

Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
Running Mandriva Linux 2007