[GRLUG] Distro's - GRLUG test comment, dead thread

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Fri May 12 13:01:45 EDT 2006

 This topic comes up every so often.  Somebody
 is clearly just trying to solve a homework problem.
 Someone is way out of their depth.  Etc.  But the
 tips and suggestions that one mostly gets in this
 chat group have a lot of leverage.  One insight or
 pointer can unlock a lot for others who have really
 given a problem a good try before laying it on
 others.  It really can mean the difference between
 giving up and moving along with a project.

 Unlike the workplace,  where slackers are often
 consummate politicians,  and can make life
 miserable for those that won't carry them,  the chat
 group is voluntary.  One can ignore things deemed
 lame.  I suggest this is a better strategy than
 making people gun shy about asking.  One doesn't
 see anything here that isn't seen on netnews groups
 in terms of posturing and irritation.  The solution
 there when people can't behave is to have a
 moderator.  That's a big burden for someone,  and
 clearly akin to censorship.

 I'd really rather see people just delete what they
 don't like and move on.  I've gotten a lot of useful
 tips and help from the group,  even on matters not
 strictly Linux  - hardware sources,  what to avoid,
 etc.   Call that gratitude.  But if anyone feels put
 upon,  answers are voluntary.  In this group anyway.

   -Bob