[GRLUG] Distro's - was GRLUG test comment

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Thu May 4 16:00:52 EDT 2006

On 5/4/06, David Pembrook <david at pembrook.net> wrote:
>  Agreed... I'm not advocating using root for everything, but I don't want to
> prefix every root command with sudo.
>
>  Thats all.. well, maybe not..

Well...  there's 'sudo su'.  I don't think that's too hard.

>  I also don't want the first user created having sudo. If I install a box
> for my daughter, and she's the only user, she's root. Also fixable.

So why not set your user account up during setup, then add hers after
the fact.  It's a trivial difference, but it's easier than 'fixing' it
your way.

>  Its a design philosophy in doing the sudo thing that I don't like. I like
> the separation of normal user and root user. They are blurring it for a
> single user.

I don't agree at all.  Privileges are rigorously separated.  Your user
is not root.  You are simply allowed to escalate privilages.  On a
system with a root account, most users don't take the care to
administer their wheel group properly, so anyone can willy nilly use
su to become root.  A system, any system, where the default action is
deny is more secure.  Period.

--tim