[GRLUG] "apt-get update wardrobe"

Justin Denick justin.denick at gmail.com
Wed May 3 14:07:51 EDT 2006

Umm, the apt-thing may be broken try this from the much sought Knoppix CD

$cd /mnt/your/drive
$for files in `ls | grep -v home`;do
   rm -fr $files;
done

$wget
http://gentoo.mirrors.tds.net/gentoo/releases/x86/current/stages/stage3-x86-2006.0.tar.bz2

$tar xvjpf  stage3-x86-2006.0.tar.bz2
$mount -t proc none proc
$chroot . /bin/bash --login
$env-update
$source /etc/profile
$emerge --sync
$emerge new-girlfriend -pv

You will find that this leads to dependency hell and will condume most if
not all of your time. However, after she's installed and everything is going
great, you will be satiated. Until it happens....

Somebody says " Hey Pal. Did you see that they now have wife.0.2 for KDE!"
No the two will not co-exist and cannot be installed in seperate SLOTS.

No offense to the Debian guys. apt is an awesome tool. \
$ln -sf /bin/emerge /bin/apt-get

On 5/3/06, Kaminski, Dennis J <Dennis.Kaminski at siemens.com> wrote:

> Warning, based on years of experience:
>
> The "apt-get update wardrobe" should not be run on a specific schedule
> (e.g. weekly, monthly, holiday). If you start running it on a schedule,
> you can only stop running it on that schedule through great pain and
> effort. Adding it to a different schedule does NOT stop it from running
> on the initial schedule.
>
> If you run the "apt-get update wardrobe" manually, you must run it often
> enough, but, you will find that you get to select options that you can't
> select when running it on a schedule. This method also associates your
> uid and gid with the update. This association has many subtle benefits.
> By running it manually, you also get the benefits of the feedback.
> Please note, to get the most out of the update you must use the
> --enthusiasm and --smiles switches. I encourage you to use the -vvv
> switch. While most of the information is meaningless, it can help you
> respond appropriately if the update needs additional information. Also,
> never, never use the --lookswide switch. Just pretend that switch
> doesn't exist.
>
> Also, you may be surprised at (or may have forgotten) the performance
> improvements that you can experience by running "apt-get install
> freshflowers". I've seen the best performance improvement when I run it
> remotely and let the system sit idle for a few hours after the install.
>
> Dennis

Got Gentoo?

It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech.
                -- Mark Twain