[GRLUG] GRLUG meetings

Guth Linda - Grand Rapids Linda.Guth at Kohler.Com
Mon Jul 3 16:29:36 EDT 2006

I actually joined GRLUG because I don't know anything about Linux.  I work
at Baker Furniture and if you've heard the news lately, Baker is leaving
Grand Rapids slowly between now & the year 2008.  I might be one of the
lucky ones to stay until 2008, but thought I'd make my time productive and
start learning something new.  Plus, I'm trying to do more "networking" out
with other IT folks in the Grand Rapids area in preparation of job
searching.

Maybe one of the meetings can deal with us rookies new to Linux.  I'm ready
to start soaking up information.

So, Brad....you grew up in Greenville?  I own land on a lake near there.
Ever hear of Chain Lakes just off of Morgan Mills Road (south of M57)?  My
cottage is the "pop-up" style.  Otherwise known as the camper.

Linda Guth
Technical Analyst - Baker Furniture

-----Original Message-----
From: grlug-bounces at grlug.org [mailto:grlug-bounces at grlug.org] On Behalf Of
brad
Sent: Monday, July 03, 2006 5:07 PM
To: grlug at grlug.org
Subject: [GRLUG] GRLUG meetings

Maybe it would be good to identify some of the reasons people join GRLUG,
then it might be easier to meet the needs of current members, encourage new
members to join and have larger gatherings that attract newcomers. (The more
the merrier!)

I joined this mailing list for three main reasons.

1. The open-source movement encourages co-operation and communication
between people all over the world. Something the world desperately needs.
The open-source concept is spilling over into other areas of technology. Did
you ever hear of OScar? Take a look at this website.
http://www.theoscarproject.org/
2. Small rural school districts are always starving. Any software that can
help keep costs down is appreciated.
3. I love Linux.
4. The social connection is probably more important than anything I will
here. Even though I have only met a few of you, you all seem like friends. I
am not a technician, so I am slowly learning bits and pieces, and I learn
best through human interaction.

Like they always say...our children are our future...Kids love technology
and new software. Anything that can be done to show kids the beauty of
open-source software, and linux, should be done. I think it great when we
can bring high schoolers and college kids on board.

Maybe we should advertise GRLUG meetings at local universities and pass out
some free liveCDs, put some posters on bulletin boards with a little
description of what Linux is, and why they might give it a try.

Now for my last idea in DEEP LEFT FIELD. (don't take this too seriously, I
am famous for thinking WAY out of the box.)

I grew up in Greenville, a pretty, little town east of Grand Rapids. I
thought it would be great if some linux guru offered to write a column in
the local newspaper on Linux, kind of a beginners guide with weekly
installments. Maybe it could be a cooperative effort of several GLUGers.
(Columns could be brainstormed and outlined at GRLUG meetings.) We could
list GRLUG meeting dates at the bottom of the article, and meet
occassionally  at a Greenville restaurant or school. The paper might agree
to distribute free or low cost liveCDs to interested local citzens. The
weekly column might develop into a question and answer session for people
that are learning the software. It would be kind of a social
experiment...see if we could create a physical linux community.

HOW IS THAT FOR LEFT FIELD!!!