[GRLUG] ubuntu/kubuntu boot issues

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Thu Feb 16 16:34:52 EST 2006

Topher wrote:
> I have a couple students that have tried ubuntu and kubuntu, all with the
> same result.  After the install ends, it reboots, and says there's no boot
> partition.

Are you sure that the partition is not created, or maybe just made bootable?
It's more likely that the bootloader wasn't installed properly.
I just installed Ubuntu last week and as I recall the default set up put the
/boot directory in the root partition i.e. no seperate boot partition. From what
I recall of the install the most likely point for them to make a mistake like
this would be where the install asks if you want the bootloader (LILO) installed
in the MBR of the root partition. The answer is root partition only if you have
ANOTHER BOOTLOADER in the mbr.

> They've done this without me around, and so they go back to IS and have
> their entire machine re-imaged, which is sad.

You can pass the above to them, and you might recommend they join the mailing
list so they can discuss their efforts with all of us.

> Anyone know how to make Ubuntu boot properly after an initial install?

Fixing it requires more information on what went wrong.