[GRLUG] Notebook with ATI chip, dual-screens, XGL?

Benjamin Eavey ben at eavey.com
Thu Dec 14 14:35:03 EST 2006

I'm setting up a new HP notebook I just received through work (Compaq
nc8430), and it's *almost* working the way I want it to.  Using Ubuntu
6.10 as the distro.  I have have the main LCD display running at
1680x1050 using the fglrx driver from ATI, and I have a second monitor
attached to the VGA port running at 1280x1024 for a nice dual-screen
setup.  No problem there.

Last night, I got XGL working (can't use AIGLX with ATI) on the notebook
display.  Excellent.  Today, I decided to try and get XGL working across
the dual displays, but so far, I haven't had any luck.  There isn't much
out there on Google for ATI chips, although there are plenty of people
who have it working with NVidia.

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?  Specifically, has
anyone successfully created an XGL dual-screen setup using an ATI card?
  The notebook comes with a X1600 chip, if it makes any difference.

I'm starting to think this can't be done, but if anyone has any
suggestions, I'm all ears...

Thanks!

-Ben