[GRLUG] Another WWI veteran dies

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 23:30:27 EST 2006

Moses Hardy, 113, Veteran of World War I, Dies

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: December 10, 2006

JACKSON, Miss., Dec. 9 (AP) — Moses Hardy, believed to be the
second-oldest man in the world and the last black United States
veteran of World War I, died Thursday. He was 113.

Evelyn Davis, 68, one of Mr. Hardy's eight children, said her father
died at a nursing home in Aberdeen. He would have been 114 on Jan. 6.

Robert Young, a senior consultant for gerontology for Guinness World
Records, said that research by his group, National Public Radio and
others had been unable to locate any other surviving black World War I
veterans. Only 10 to 12 American veterans of that war remain, Mr.
Young said. Mr. Hardy was sent to France and apparently saw some
combat.

Census records show that Mr. Hardy's father was born in the 1830s and
that both his parents were slaves, Mr. Young said.

Mr. Hardy had been No. 6 on Guinness's list of the world's oldest
people. Elizabeth Bolden, 116, of Memphis, is believed to be the
oldest person, Mr. Young said, while the oldest man on the list is
Emiliano Mercado del Toro, 115, of Puerto Rico.