[GRLUG] Linux Newbie

Justin Denick justin.denick at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 11:51:27 EDT 2006

I have heard nothing but praise spoken about *buntu's easy of use and
stability. I started out on Mandrake, now Mandriva. I suppose you should
look for something with a Package Manager and a graphical installer, any
distro with those should suit you fine. I you're looking for a challange
though, you may want to try Slackware or Gentoo. These systems the most fun
to play with.

On 8/7/06, Jorge La <weeneedhelp at gmail.com> wrote:

> I installed Dapper on my sister's laptop, and she can use it 0,0
> I also gave my calculus teacher (who has a minor in computer science and
> used to teach C++ under linux back in the 90's) a Breezy Badger to see what
> linux is like now in 06' and his wife uses and 12 year old uses it too ! :o
>
> also, have you tried other distros too? because I also like SuSE
>

> On 8/7/06, Benjamin Flanders <flanderb at gmail.com > wrote:
>
> > I would also suggest Kubuntu which is based on KDE and is more like
> > Mandrake and has a Windows look and feel.
> >
> > Most all KDE centric distros will act the same and be as easy as the
> > others in the eye of the end user.  Where you see the differentiation
> > is in the maintenance and jobs that the system admin will do.
> >
> > If you are a newbie Linux sys-admin then even better than an easy
> > graphical admin interface(Mandrake) is a distribution that has a lot
> > of steam behind it(Ubuntu/Kubuntu).  What happens if the graphical
> > interface screws up?  Google it and find the fix.  I have found hat if
> > anything went wrong with my Kubuntu install, Google knows someone else
> > who had the issue and how to fix it.  This is priceless.  For this
> > alone I would say move over to Kubuntu.
> >
> > Also adding the programs that your wife is expecting is as simple as
> > "apt-get install program"
> >

> > On 8/7/06, Benjamin Eavey <ben at eavey.com> wrote:
> > > I love Ubuntu.  Combine it with EasyUbuntu, and life is good:
> > >
> > > http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/
> > >
> > > I have a non-technical wife, and once I set up Thunderbird for her,
> > she
> > > was fine.  Then again, she isn't a very demanding computer user...
> > >
> > > Have fun!
> > >
> > > -Ben

> > distro to
> > is