[GRLUG] Linux Newbie

Benjamin Flanders flanderb at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 10:59:57 EDT 2006

I would also suggest Kubuntu which is based on KDE and is more like
Mandrake and has a Windows look and feel.

Most all KDE centric distros will act the same and be as easy as the
others in the eye of the end user.  Where you see the differentiation
is in the maintenance and jobs that the system admin will do.

If you are a newbie Linux sys-admin then even better than an easy
graphical admin interface(Mandrake) is a distribution that has a lot
of steam behind it(Ubuntu/Kubuntu).  What happens if the graphical
interface screws up?  Google it and find the fix.  I have found hat if
anything went wrong with my Kubuntu install, Google knows someone else
who had the issue and how to fix it.  This is priceless.  For this
alone I would say move over to Kubuntu.

Also adding the programs that your wife is expecting is as simple as
"apt-get install program"

On 8/7/06, Benjamin Eavey <ben at eavey.com> wrote:
> I love Ubuntu.  Combine it with EasyUbuntu, and life is good:
>
> http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/
>
> I have a non-technical wife, and once I set up Thunderbird for her, she
> was fine.  Then again, she isn't a very demanding computer user...
>
> Have fun!
>
> -Ben
>

> Carlus Henry rašė:
> > Hey everyone...
> >
> > I am a Linux newbie, and I am wondering what would be the best distro to
> > use.  I have had experience with Mandrake and I have found that it is
> > pretty easy to set up and use.  However, I have been hearing a lot of
> > buzz lately around ubuntu.  Does anyone have any experiene with Ubuntu?
> > Can anyone comment on the user friendliness?
> >
> > Please keep in mind that I have a very non technical wife who will be
> > using the computer as well.  Is this a good distro to use?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Carlus

Share and Enjoy