[GRLUG] Follow-up to my "Ubuntu install" post

Rick Vargo rick at vargo.org
Sat Dec 10 11:01:24 EST 2005

Rich,

First off I would like to stay "WAY TO GO!" for sticking in there.
Most of us have been using LINUX for many years and have forgotten
that the first time is quite the learning experience.  Heck, the
first time installing any distro is still a learning experience as
they all do stuff slightly different.  I started off with LINUX when
the 2.0 kernel just came out (using Slackware) when their was no GUI
install or tools and everything was done via the command line.  Talk
about a learning curve after being an NT person.  Second, just about
everything in LINUX is tied to name resolution.  If this is not
working correctly, then stuff on your system like browsing the net
will not work correctly.  LINUX is not as forgiving as Windows on this.

Using Ubuntu, you will want to get to know "apt."  Apt is a powerful
and great tool to install/upgrade packages. "apt-get" will be the apt
tool you probably use the most.  Also, just to point out... All of
your network settings are stored under /etc/network/  /etc/hosts and /
etc/resolv.conf.  Take a look at the "resolvconf" package in the
UBUNTU repository.  This may help you out with the DNS issues you are
having.  The easiest thing to do however would be to set the DNS
servers in your router to point to your ISPs DNS servers instead of
the internal address of your router.

Have fun,
Rick